Friday, December 31, 2010

Intro (Part 1): Who am I

I should have started this blog back in August of 2008. That's when I decided that, having moved to New York City a year earlier, I really needed to get to know the city more.

What followed became some sort of obsession, and almost 1,800 miles later, I can say that I know the far-flung corners of the five boroughs pretty well. It hasn't been easy. Even though I live in Queens, I work on Long Island, so short of walking to my car every day (which I don't count), I've only been able to walk on weekends.

Also, while I don't do this for health reasons, I don't have what would be called a long or quick stride. I'm pretty slow, and since I take a bunch of photos along the way, I don't further (and farther) my cause any.

So here's a little bit more about me: I'm 42, born in Spain but lived in Miami for several years. I moved to Forest Hills, Queens, in May of 2007 and I'm the online editor for Newsday.com. And before moving here I wasn't that much into walking.

I guess I walk for several reasons: I love to discover places in New York City, I need to stay in shape (which I barely can say I am) and definitely shed some pounds. And lastly, I'm a homebody who really feels remorse after wasting a day full of idleness at home. Obviously, this is the best way to combat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment